Mason in critical condition after electric shock while working

A mason identified as Kwame Vicent, 29, is in critical condition after suffering a high voltage electric shock while laying blocks on a Public Toilet Project in Suhum in the Eastern Region.

The victim after the electrocution crashed on the grounds causing multiple head and body injuries which worsened his condition. He was rushed to the Suhum Government Hospital where he has been on admission at the emergency ward still unable to talk.

The incident which occurred attracted many residents to the shocking scene soaked with blood .

A co-worker explained that, the head of the labourer touched the high voltage line while laying the blocks at lentil level of the building. The eyewitness said though Kwame’s head was insulated with scarf, he was electrified and hanged on the lines for about 15 seconds before crashing on the ground.

According to the Assembly Member for the Area, Alex Darko popularly known as Otele, the Project is part of the One -Million Dollar per constituency projects being executed by the Special Initiative Ministry .

He said alarm has been raised on several occasions over the location of the facility due to its closeness to the high voltage lines which the Electricity Company of Ghana said will require about Ghc18,000 to divert the lines from the Project site, but alleges that the Suhum Municipal Chief Executive, Margret Darko, when informed did not show interest on the basis that the contract was not awarded by the Assembly.